Thursday 9 December 2010

The Top Five: Questions people ask you when you give it all up..........

1.  So do you miss it?
2. What do you DO all day?
3. So when are you going back?
4. I bet you miss the money, don't you (solicitors earn a fortune don't they)?
5. So what are you going to do NOW?

Well, reader (I assume I might have at least one, even if it is only the one I am married to), let me start my no doubt soon to be illustrious blog career by answering 1. and 2. - which sort of go together........

Firstly : Do I miss it? - In a word NO - not as such (sorry beloved former colleagues).  I miss the specific people, but I certainly don't lack for intellectual challenge and stimulation, nor (now both my small children are at school) for time sitting down in peace and quiet..............actually that isn't true because:

Secondly: What do I DO all day? (A question which Mr Life After Law - another successful Law escapee - does ask from time to time when feeling brave) - you have got to be kidding me!! The school day which I fondly imagined was going to allow endless time for making bread by hand and wafting about reading poetry flashes past before you can say "I've just got to nip out".  Life has a different rhythm and it all revolves around one central Commandment: I must NEVER EVER fail to be at the school gate on time - which is 6 hours after I was last there.  I volunteer at the school, I have a new and wonderful singing teacher, I support (and am supported by) other people in my life who don't have fixed PAYE related engagements in the day (and some who do) - but mostly and through and through I am Mummy - even when the children are not here I am, like one slightly scruffy clapped out fire engine, on call - I'm in the engine shed waiting for the bell to ring and while I do that I am doing essential maintenance - to the house, to my sanity etc etc.

All this might be very boring to the readers out there in the blogosphere - fair do's : sometimes it bores me! However it might encourage some of you to know that there is life after a big career change - I make no bones about it, I have a job, a full time job and it is my vocational career.  Noone pays me and it involves a lot of poo (literally unfortunately) but it is rewarding challenging and intriguing.   I struggled to make the choice to adopt my new career but I have never regretted it!

Next time - on to the rest of the top five..........unless the readers have other questions that simply must be answered (like, how if I say I am so busy can I possibly have time to rant on like this??)

Life After Law - It's out there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment