Thursday 27 October 2011

Barbara or Margot? A bit of frivolous nonsensery.......

Ok, so just asking this question dates me.  If you, like me, grew up watching and loving the antics of Tom, Barbara, Margot and Jerry then you are a Seventies baby!

(If you didn't then click here to find out more or even watch a clip on the ubiquitous YouTube!)

Anyway over the (seemingly now finally gone) summer a love of gardening welled up within me and I seem to have discovered surprisingly green fingers.  I have long owned a book on keeping chickens but fear that my precious veggie crops would be ruthlessly marauded by my fictional chickens, leaving the garden looking as if it had fallen victim to unusually precise and anti-vegetable napalm strikes. I have started thinking about what and when to plant for next "season"....hampered only by my ignorance about  different types of plants or their care but I really really really like planting stuff and watching it grow.  And then, preferably, eating it. (I proudly presented a guest with a beautiful lettuce and herb salad only to be appalled when a small but unmistakeable caterpillar made a sprightly break for freedom from the depths of the salad bowl.  Needless to say she had already eaten her portion, but, made of stern stuff, she didn't even flicker.)

The financial benefits are undoubted - given my "retirement" from law and the Boy's current carrot crunching obsession I better start  intensive cultivation of root veg! The anti-stress benefits seem to work for all of us too.  But, I just like gardening, I even occasionally listen to Gardeners QT.......

I plant things at the wrong times, I put them in the wrong places, I don't really know what I am doing.  I am  relaxed and nonchalant in wellies at all times.  I aspire to livestock.  I'd quite like to put veggie crops on the front garden (this appalled more Margot-ish types, and raised the question of that most unspeakable of crimes: vegetable theft!!)

I am, clearly, a Barbara.  But then again, on stage singing opera in as big a frock and as much bling as possible, I do channel my inner Margot.  Do you think anyone would notice if I had wellies under my posh frock.....

No comments:

Post a Comment