Monday 10 January 2011

Is there an App for that? (*If you don't know what an App is.........)

I may have mentioned that I have a new phone (which I am way past the point of becoming boring about, but you don't have to read on so hey, it saves Mr Life After Law listening to my exclamations - LOOK an App that tells me that it is raining outside the window..........)

I've noticed that I like having all the comms options on one gadget eg facebook (other social networking sites are available......), email, text, phone, smoke signal, launch flying monkeys (imagine if you had a phone that could actually do that!!......I digress).

But if I'm a "communication polymath"  (not psychopath, pay attention at the back!!) others definitely aren't!

Mr LAL loathes texting and mobiles but will email - as I no longer have to come back to the house and turn the laptop on to contact him at work (please buy chocolate on way home/for the love of God don't be too late......etc) my new do-everything phone has truly been labour saving! (And it is nice to be able to send him encouraging messages in the day as well, like "I love you" not just "You left your dirty dishes by the side of the dishwasher" - not that I've ever sent one like that)

But what other Apps do I wish it had? How about "See Clear" App - restoring perspective in the midst of a shitty day? Or a "Tots Mute" App for turning down the volume on children who's volume setting seems to be directly affected by how tired and irritable you feel.  I would love to design a "RadicalSearch" App to help men look for things - step 1 look in the place you expected to find it, step 2 (revolutionary) look in at least one other place before giving up and asking wife......

Oooooh a good one would surely be a "BS Detector" - thank you Mr Builder/Plumber that I haven't used before, would you simply speak clearly into the mike and repeat how long the job will take and the fee quote.........(NOT to be accidentally switched on while talking to children - no the icecream van has run out/the cinema isn't open today etc)

As I'm currently trying to learn music in other languages (which according to my lovely and brilliant singing teacher does necessitate actually translating each piece myself so I understand it properly, and not cheating and finding the equivalent of a case digest........yes I was that kind of law student) I'd like a "BabelBrain" App which just gives me the ability to download a new language into my head (and for our text-speak generation of teenagers we could install Queen's English as a start-up.......)

Last one: my beautiful intelligent chatty six year old girl has a nice line in disbelieving questions and withering put downs - so I need "QuickQuip" App to hold my end up before I lose any chance of saving face!

(and if you don't know what an App is then please see Mr Life After Law's Blog "Luddite Landscape", copied by hand on reclaimed vellum using original tools twice yearly and broadcast by town cryer and messenger pigeon.........)

No comments:

Post a Comment